Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Husband, The Hero!!!


Yesterday, a rather amazing thing happened. My husband and kids went to the lake without me. (That's not the amazing part:) I wasn't able to go and Steve was determined to take the boat out on the lake since it had been in the shop forever and he had just gotten it fixed. He invited his brother (who we share the boat with) and his daughter whose around Carly's age to come with. I was at Costco when he called me to say they were on their way home. So I said, "How was it?" and he said, "Well, Paul nearly got killed and our boat was damaged." He had my full attention at this point! He went on to tell me that Paul had fallen off the tube and as Steve was going around to pick him up, he noticed another boat heading straight for Paul's head and Paul was completely unaware of it. Although the kids had held up the flag the instant Paul was in the water, it must not have been in plain view of the boat from where they held it because they did not change course.
Steve and the kids were frantically yelling and waving to get the boats attention, but they continued to proceed like they didn't see anything. Everyone was really worried and beginning to become frantic. Steve realized he had to do something so he decided to ram straight for the other boat, hoping they would swerve away from our boat and thereby, away from Paul. It was like playing chicken, with Paul's head between them and luckily, the boat finally swerved at the last second just missing Paul in the process. The only problem was it swerved the same direction as our boat, hitting out boat in the process and causing a wave to go over Paul's head. One of our boats windows was shattered, but the other boat only had minor damage. Thankfully, no one in either boat was hurt other than a few cuts from some broken glass. Paul was picked up and seemed to be completely unaware (because he had been looking the other way) of the life changing moment Steve and the kids had experienced. The people in the other boat were angry at first until they noticed Paul bobbing in the water so near the boats.
After Steve told me what happened, I said, "You saved his life honey", and he just said, "I just reacted". But I know his reaction was inspired and because he listened and acted on it, his brother is alive. Steve said that even though the boat swerved, he thought Paul might have already been hit they were so close to him at that point.
We're still a little in shock about the whole thing, but mostly we're grateful. Grateful it turned out ok and grateful for what had to be divine intervention allowing things to go as they did. I can't tell you how thankful I am for guardian angels and a loving Heavenly Father who watched over my family today.

The following pictures are close ups of the window frame with no more glass. (You can see bits of broken glass sticking to the frame.)

7 comments:

Alba said...

THANK YOU, STEVE! We are so grateful for your quick reaction. I shudder to think what could have been!

Spencer and Amy said...

That is crazy!! I can't believe that happened! Way to go dad for reacting so fast. You really are a super hero :)

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

I just got goose bumps! very scary but wow what a blessing no one was hurt, I think i would of probably gone off at the people on the other boat knowing me.... glad everyone was okay , sorry about your boat, so important to be intune at all times...

Patrice said...

Oh, man, that is so freaky! Life can be changed in an instant!

Anonymous said...

That is scary! We really are alike. Chase and his friends had our boat at Lake Powell over Labor Day weekend. Their first day out on the lake, they hit a huge rock that was 2 feet under the water. It caused one boy to get thrown overboard and and huge wave of water came over the bow. Needless to say, our boat got trashed underneath. Boats are scary...

Jules said...

when i heard what happened i got goosebumps! so scary. go daddy for thinkin quickly!

Hina Schneider said...

OMG! That is so scary! Yeah good thing steve felt prompted to do what he did. That is amazing. Good thing paul is safe. Its crazy to think how fast our lives can go any minute. I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay and safe. That's the most important thing.