Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Jerusalem via Utah...


It was two weeks ago today that I dropped my 3rd daughter, Chelsea, off at the airport in Salt Lake City to catch her plane to Tel Aviv. She will be living at the BYU Jerusalem Center until December 18th...nearly four months, studying in the Holy Land. This is an experience which is only available to BYU students, (from ANY BYU campus), with good grades and those willing to comply with some pretty strict standards. And although this is the experience of a lifetime for her, I still cried the whole way home to Amy's from the airport:(.
This was a little Chihuahua named Pooper that we met in the airport. He is still a puppy:).
Now I will finally post about the trip she and I had in Utah. She and I flew up from AZ and stayed at Amy's for a few days before she had to go. She got to catch up with Julie, Amy Spencer and spend lots of quality time with Hayden.
There was a mandatory orientation for she and I to attend at BYU where she met the other 80 or so people going including her room mates. They are all from different states including Colorado, Utah, AZ and Alaska. They were all so fun and nice.
We also had to check out a few of her favorite places to eat in Utah including, JDawgs, Bajio's and a little Indian restaurant. And of course she had to get some yogurt from Red Mango. I had never had it and it was yummy. I had some super mini chocolate chips on the side and gave the rest to Hayden in his carseat on the way home. You'll have to check out how THAT went!...






























We also made "H" cookies for Hayden (he LOVES mimi's "H" cookies) and some other goodies for some missionaries we know that are still in the MTC and delivered them together.
I loved playing with Hayden and spending time with my Utah kids. Julie had just moved into a new apartment and since she is a massage therapist in Orem, she had me come out for a massage during some free time she had at work. It was awesome!

The spa where Julie works & hernew apartment.















My last night there, I was able to meet some of my friends from high school which I had reconnected with on Facebook for dinner at Brick Oven and that was so much fun! I hadn't seen them for at least 20 years!
It was a great weekend and so hard to say goodbye to all of them, especially Chelsea who is now living halfway around the world, but I know it's where she's supposed to be right now.
I'm not really worried, because I know she will be watched over and is in the safest hands possible, but no matter how or where or how they go, "There's nothing so bad as parting with ones children. One seems quite forlorn without them." (Pride and Prejudice) In case anyone is interested in following her activities, she is posting daily (or as often as internet will permit) about her stay there. Pictures can only be uploaded every so often, but it's fun to read about her days. Also, please comment and let her know you've stopped by....it's her only way to get feedback:). chelseaellsworth.blogspot.com

It was finally time to let go and go take care of my kids still at home....
the valley of the sun from the airplane.

7 comments:

Jules said...

aww that was fun having you up here for a few days! you all need to come back together yes? miss you guys!

Byron and Jana said...

It is so fun to read about Chelseas journeys, it sounds just the same and brings back great memories! What a chance of a lifetime!!

Spencer and Amy said...

That was fun having you all here :) Miss you already!

Anonymous said...

Ummmm.....the diet must be over????

Gail said...

No Marci, that trip was before the diet:) I said at the beginning of the post, I'm finally getting this posted.( Maybe you should read my posts more carefully:)

Brian and Brianna said...

Wow what an amazing experience that will be for Chelsea! Brian loves that Indian food place too, and he misses Red Mango he said they had them on his mission in Korea so his mouth was definitely watering reading this! Looks like you had so much fun visiting with everyone up there! :)

Chelzy said...

Thanks mom for posting this. I really had a blast that last few days and I miss you guys! I also just read your post about Paul!!! I can't believe what happened!!! That is sooo insane! (can I use any more exclamation points!!!) ;D I'm glad he's ok and that no one got hurt though. That is such a huge relief!