
So....lately I've been struggling to get into the "Christmas Spirit". I usually love this time of year. I love celebrating the life of Christ and watching Christmas movies and all the usual traditions involving the Christmas season. I still love them all, I just don't feel motivated to DO what it takes to make IT all happen. I usually can't wait to plan outings and menus and decorate, I'm just not feelin' it yet.
For instance, my outside lights wouldn't have even been put up if it weren't for my nephew wanting to earn money for his mission. I'm sure I would have put up wreaths and stuff, but I really didn't even care if the lights went up. (Sometimes I think I wouldn't even decorate anymore if I didn't have children at home.) I feel like I sound like the Grinch! I don't mean to, I'm just trying to be real.
This is so not like me....maybe I'm just burned out from so many years of doing all this stuff. Let's face it, we mom's are the ones who make most of the "magic" . I usually enjoy being the magic maker, but this year, I'm just going through the motions. Maybe it's the rebel in me, after all it's whenever I feel pressure to do everything perfectly, I want to rebel and do nothing.
The funny thing is, I had already decided to simplify this year and so I'm mostly done with the planning/shopping phase. I've even done what decorating I'm doing this year. Maybe it's the pressure I often feel to do more, even though often it's self imposed pressure. To make cute or clever neighbor gifts and get my Christmas cards out before the 15th. Who knows, I guess we're all entitled to have an off year now and then.
The one thing I am excited about is adopting the "Sub for Santa" family our family gives to every year. Giving is always the best part about Christmas for me and my kids really enjoy being a part of it too. We all know service only makes us happier, but that's not the problem. I AM happy. I'm just not feeling like I normally do this time of year. (I have a feeling it has something to do with my house being emptier than it used to be).
Another part about Christmas I always look forward to is Christmas music. So in an effort to improve my mood, I decided to get out all my Christmas cd's and put them in the house, the car and I even put favorite songs on my blog. Maybe that will help get me out of this funk I'm in. (Any suggestions welcome:), Otherwise, you'll have to start calling me Grinch!



6 comments:
I'll resist the name calling. I've done almost NOTHING yet, but I am surprisingly not even stressed about it!
You are just burned out from Halloween! You did SO much! But seriously, I feel the same. I have got to get some cold weather here soon or I really may move to upstate New York. I think cold weather will make all the difference.....hopefully...
Gail your so funny. Its ok. I am sure and I know you do so much for every occasion and holiday and so its ok to take a break here and there. Your like super woman. When we came over I though your house looked great!
Oh ma don't worry about it! I feel the same way and I think it's because we're not all together. We even have a little Christmas tree in our apartment but it's just not the same. We started decorating at home before I left for school again and that just made me really home sick so you're probably just sad cause we're not all there to help! :D Don't worry! 2 weeks!!!
Sounds like my Halloween! But I ended up loving it :)
I think the fact that half of your kids are away is part of it.
Kirt and I sat in front of the Christmas tree the other night (on the "loveseat"). No music. it was quiet. no other lights on in the house. just us, the loveseat, and the tree. we had other things to do but it was nice to take the moment to enjoy. it was good. we talked and enjoyed the feeling of the season a bit.
I'm done stressing that I still have decorating or shopping to do. What is important is those special moments with our loved ones.
Don't sweat it. Just enjoy what IS there to enjoy!
Loves!
I've been there Gail many times, but have decided its not really for us it's all about our kids and making it fun for them and carrying on our traditions that we have had in our Family so they want to carry same ones on in there. I would love to figure out a way to simplyfi (i know i spelled that wrong) any who last year we had a great Christmas we didn't do much for gifts but we did give and help build two houses for some families in Rocky Point and it was allot of fun and my kids loved it, we left Christmas Day and they all Knew we were doing this instead of Christmas and it was the best I felt no hussel or bussel and it was fun just being with my family for the days we were there, I think we are going to go down again on Christmas and help again if our circumstances will let us do it, it was very rewarding...you are awesome and you are always doing for everyone else its no wonder that you get tired!!
Post a Comment