Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Day of School 2009

I don't know how exactly my Summer just seemed to evaporate, but somehow it's gone! Poof!!! Sadly the heat remains, along with many blog posts yet to post about the last few weeks of Summer. For now, I will just have to try and keep things current.
We got home from our Summer beach trip on Saturday evening, took the whole family to the temple to do baptisms for the dead, (something we tried to do in California, but San Diego and Newport temples were closed for maintenance). This has been a dream of mine for a long time since we had to wait for my youngest, Austin to turn 12. Julie was flying home the next day and so it was "now or never", since it is rare anymore to get all my kids together for very long. It was very special, however, we were planning to get dinner afterward and there were some unexpected delays so we didn't get dinner until 9:00pm. Everyone was so hungry and tired. Steve and I crashed as soon as our heads hit the pillow!
We both had to teach (R.S. & High Priest Group) the next morning and the whole family was planning to attend Andrew's, (Spencer's brother) farewell in another ward so we opted to miss our sacrament meeting and just attend the third hour of our ward. Steve and I had tried to prepare our lessons on vacation and on the car trip home, however I felt frazzled when I finally got to church. Thanks to the Spirit, the lesson went fine and we made it to Andrew's farewell. He did an awesome job and it was so fun to attend our old ward and see so many old friends!
Julie nearly missed her flight but she made it back to Utah that night.
Then on Monday, instead of dreading the first day of school, I tried to make the last few days before school as fun and carefree as possible with one of the goals to watch all of the Lord of the Rings movies back to back. We made it through one, but have yet to complete that goal.
We still get to have Amy & Spence for the rest of the week and that has helped me not fell too sad about a quiet house, but they leave for Utah on Saturday, (with my precious Hayden). That will leave me with four of my children home until Chelsea leaves for Jerusalem September 1st.
Life marches on as I have no kiddos left in elementary school.
Austin begins Jr. High in 7th grade, Carly is in 9th and gets to start seminary and Sean is a senior this year believe it or not! I'm really not ready for school and structure to start this year. I'm really enjoying having my kids home...call me crazy, but i do enjoy them even more as they get older. There are days when I cherish the quiet house but I will miss them.
I could not ask for better (or more adorable) kids and I am grateful. My heart is full:).

3 comments:

dawheelers said...

It would just be so much better if there were only 4 of them . . . haha.

Gail said...

Very funny Kristin!:)

Spencer and Amy said...

Cute pic! They all look so old!