Friday, January 23, 2009

Hamburger Stew....Yum!

I promised to post this recipe a month ago and I'm just finally getting around to it. This is a family favorite that Steve's mom brought to us for dinner right after Amy was born, some 24 plus years ago.  I often make it when I bring dinner to someone because it is usually liked by all.   I love it because it's easy and it can be made with all pantry/food storage items as well as fresh and it's a great one pot meal, especially for rainy Winter days. Enjoy!
Hamburger Stew:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, browned & drained. (can use canned hamburger)
1 medium onion, chopped (I often substitute dehydrated onion)
4-6 medium carrots, sliced 
4-5 potatoes, diced
2-3 celery stalks, diced
1 15oz. can chopped tomatoes
1 can tomatoe soup
1 can beef consume (can use beef bouillon in 1 c. water)
1/2 c. catsup
1 t. A-1 sauce
1 t. Worchteshire sauce
4 cups water
1 1/2 t. salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
chopped parsley, optional

Brown hamburger with onion.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook (simmer) 1 hour or till vegetables are tender.  This works great in a crockpot but it will take at least 8 hours on high to get the veggies tender and you need to brown the meat first.  

11 comments:

Alison said...

I still remember when you brought this to our family a couple of weeks after Bennett was born (11 years ago!) It hit the spot then and now! It is great on a cold day! Thanks for sharing!

Patrice said...

That looks very, very yummy! I always need good ways to use hamburger and recipes my kids will like.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I'll have to try it out!

Alba said...

I had forgotten about bringing this hamburger stew to you so long ago. I got the recipe from an Edgement neighbor when we went on a youth outing on the Snake River near Jackson, Wyoming. It was served from a dutch oven and tasted so good in that setting.

Spencer and Amy said...

I miss that soup! I'll have to make it for Spence :)

Jen and Gonzo said...

Gail, it was so good to see you when we were in town! Thanks for letting us crash at your house...like always! You're the best. Love you.

Brian and Brianna said...

I love that meal! And I totally remember you bringing it to my fam years ago! It's so yummy I'm gonna have to try making it myself :)

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

thanks i love getting good recipe's on blogs, it really helps with some diffrent meal planning..looks yummy..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I will just wait for it to be COLD, RAINY and WINTER!

And I really am up for some lazer tag, dinner too. I promise!

Patrice said...

P.S. I made it and it was a huge hit!

Grandmommy Crum said...

I have had to catch up with your posts! Everything you do is amazing! If I want advice on the good things in life I know where to go! I love you, I miss you! I wish life was more simple, when it is, we're going to be the grandma hotties of Payson!!! remember??? We'll even wear thongs!!!