I feel like lately my blog has gone from "online scrapbook/journal" to an editorial on deeper subjects. But I guess that is how I've been thinking lately so that is part of the "journey" I need to document. So much has been happening in spite of all the sad things, life does seem to keep marching on with or without us! Tuesday night was our wards Enricment. And since I'm the "enrichment leader" I was somewhat involved. I say somewhat, not sarcastically, but because all I did was organize the evening. We invited 2 of Susan Deaton's (an amazing woman in our ward) daughters, who put together a presentation about improving body image. They were inspired by their concern for the young women in their wards facing so much media focused on perfected looks. They also have a sister who had an eating disorder and watched her suffer through that trial not knowing how they could help her.
Anyway, they did all kinds of research and put together an amazing audio/video presentation showing all the fallacies and untruths used in the media; magazines, advertisiments,etc. They taught us that the advertisers want us to feel bad about our looks so we will buy their product to look better. They also shared that almost every ad photo is "airbrushed" or altered showing that even the 4 % of women who are thin enough to be models by today's standards are not "perfect" enough! So when we compare ourselves to what we see in the magazines, we're not even comparing ourselves to something that's obtainable! They're mostly fake. I was so glad that 3 of my 4 daughters were there to see this with me. It really opened our eyes and helped me be less disgusted and even grateful for my far less than perfect bod. In spite of the fact that I, like most women spent most of my life not ever feeling good enough. We are all goddesses after all, aren't we? (at least domestic ones:)
Anyway, they did all kinds of research and put together an amazing audio/video presentation showing all the fallacies and untruths used in the media; magazines, advertisiments,etc. They taught us that the advertisers want us to feel bad about our looks so we will buy their product to look better. They also shared that almost every ad photo is "airbrushed" or altered showing that even the 4 % of women who are thin enough to be models by today's standards are not "perfect" enough! So when we compare ourselves to what we see in the magazines, we're not even comparing ourselves to something that's obtainable! They're mostly fake. I was so glad that 3 of my 4 daughters were there to see this with me. It really opened our eyes and helped me be less disgusted and even grateful for my far less than perfect bod. In spite of the fact that I, like most women spent most of my life not ever feeling good enough. We are all goddesses after all, aren't we? (at least domestic ones:)
These were some of the videos they showed us:



5 comments:
This is SO important! I wanted to be there with my girls, but they had cheer from 4-9 that night. I am sure you did a fantastic job! Thanks for making Enrichment so "top notch"! I promise I will make a better effort to come....really!
Never feel guilty about missing Marci! It's always hard to go,even when it's awesome. They do these for lots of wards so if I hear when they're doing it again, I will let you know. I think our YW leaders want to have them come back sometime too:).
I would love to have them come to our ward, tell Sharon so she can tell Colleen that would be a great enrichment night for us all. I hear great things about you from my niece! I told her you only do the best!
Do you mean Kim Prince Chris? I forgot the connection. She's a sweetie, I'm glad she's says good stuff. :)
Dear Gail...
I didn't watch the video clips yet as I had to run to the kitchen for a snack...jk. I promise to watch it tomorrow (it's midnight and Christian has to be at the church at 4:15 am tomorrow to go to the lake) Goodnight Goddess Gail...I'll see you tomorrow at the party!
Post a Comment