This is kind of hard for me to share, but I felt compelled to, after all I am among friends, so here goes...
"More to love", "Pleasantly plump", "My squishy", these are all terms used to make those of us who are softer than others feel better about it and I've used them all over the years. My whole life it seems I have been preoccupied with my weight. I was cursed with a less active metabolism and even as a I child I was self-concious about my appearance and never felt "good enough". We all have things we struggle with and this is one of mine. I lived with a lot of criticism growing up, not just for my appearance, and I started to believe it. It was hard for my parents to give verbal encouragement or even say they loved me out loud and that didn't help. I knew deep down I was loved, but I'd have never made it through high school without good friends and my sisters:).
Even though I went through eventual changes that made me almost thin, (even though I never thought so at the time:), I rarely felt truly good about myself. I somehow produced a faux confidence (sometimes still do) and managed to let my "inner beauty" shine through enough to attract friendship and eventually love with the man of my dreams. I came across with a confidence and an air of "you're just lucky to have me", but I really knew I was the lucky one.
The funny thing is, Steve is not much better at verbal appreciation than my parents were. Isn't it funny how we are drawn to those who are similar to our parents? (It's no wonder I love the validation I get from the comments I receive on my posts... then again, who doesn't?) Steve is wonderful at showing his love for me, he would much rather buy me something or take me on a trip than say it out loud.
What's great is, I've definitely come a long way to learning acceptance and love of self over the years and I'm bothered far less with how I look. That's the one thing that is great about getting older, being more comfortable in your own skin and caring less what others think. In spite of all that, I still have those days where I doubt my "worthiness", most likely due to hormones:). (I'm only sharing this info because it will help you understand why the following conversation made such an impact on me:).
So I was having one of those days and talking to my hubby on the phone.....
Me: "I don't know what's wrong with me, I just don't feel like myself lately"
Steve: "Who DO you feel like?" (he's a funny guy:)
Me: "You know what I mean, I'm just kind of down, and wonder if I'll ever feel good enough, just the way I am. You know, accept that I may never get any better than this!"
Steve: "What's wrong with "this"! I'm good with "this".
Me: "I know YOU are and I appreciate it, believe me, I just wish I was "naturally thin"! (I ran into someone he dated the other day who's one of THOSE lucky women:). "After all you could have married "so and so" or "so and so".... then you'd have a wife who'd still be thin!"
Steve: "I didn't fall in love with them, I fell in love with you!"
Me: (tears rolling down my face:)..."I'm still not sure why, but I'm so glad you did."
I know it doesn't seem like much, but it meant the WORLD to me! One thing about loving someone who doesn't say things like that out loud very often is, that when they DO say something, it has a huge impact! Can I just say that we ALL need to "hear it" once in a while, no matter who we are or how many people we have in our lives who love us. For me, this was one of those times and I only share this to show....we all have those less than ideal moments and if we didn't, we would never feel the joy when it comes.
I know I'm lucky (and GRATEFUL) to be surrounded by a family who loves me unconditionally, no matter what my flaws, and believe me I am WAY aware there are MANY more flaws than just my SIZE! (I only hope I am better at saying the good stuff out loud to my kids than my parents were.)
The key to all of this stuff is SELF-ACCEPTANCE. I've been working on that for years and I'm still not all the way there (obviously)! I guess this journey of acceptance is a long one. And although I haven't reached the destination, I'm much closer than I once was and I am trying to enjoy the journey.
The important thing to remember is: WE ARE ALL LOVED, even if we think no one could possibly love us THAT unconditionally. We need to remember... there is always ONE who looketh on the heart and loves us no matter what.
I'm so grateful for those who see my heart and not just my flaws. And I'm grateful for a sweetheart who loves me just the way I am:).
"True Love"



17 comments:
I too often find myself in those down moods...I'm always comparing myself to other people and thinking if I could only look like them or dress like them I would be thrilled! But at the end of the day I am me and I am learning more each day to love me and to feel beautiful in my own skin. Thank you for this post I needed to hear something like this today!
Man, we all seem to struggle with the same feelings. It's so nice to hear we are loved!
Gail, Gail,
How can we convince you that you are beautiful and have always been loved and appreciated just as you are. You are not only beautiful -- and very photogenic -- but also so talented and fun to be with. Enjoy the acceptance of self that comes with growing older. We love you lots.
OMG! That is so sweet. I love valentines day! Its like my favorite holiday next to christmas. I love when guys come out of their comfort box and say things that are so sweet and is so needed to hear at the moment.
Gail you are so beautiful and I love you! You have always had the best advice growing up and I have always felt comfortable to talk with you. You have a way with making people feel good about themselves and you are just plain fun! I tell my mom all the time that I could just hang out with you all the time. I didn't get to comment on Julie's birthday post but I am so grateful to have such a great friend in my life. I see alot of qualities you have in her. No matter how long its been since we seen eachother its like a day hasn't gone by and we just pick up where we left off. We laugh until we cry and maybe even pee our pants alittle. She is one of the few people who can understand what I am saying in mid laugh talk. I love her so much and I am so grateful for her and a her wonderful mother who raised such a wonderful daughter. Your family has done so much for my family ecpesially these last couple years. I hope you know how much we appreciate you and I wish I could tell you how much it means to me. So I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so giving and selfless. I love you!!! You are like a second mom to me and I know that I can always count on you! Your kids are lucky to have you and I know that they already know that. Love you tons!
Oh mamma you made me cry. This was a great post and I too needed to hear it right now. I am so thankful to have you as my mamma. You are such an amazing example to me of strength, faith, hard work and LOVE. ( you and dad both). I was truly blessed with amazing parents! I loved what dad said to you. thats when i started crying haha. He is really a giant teddy bear inside and when he does say sweet things like that, it makes them so special. You both are the most giving people and everyone that knows you loves you! I think you are absolutely perfect the way you are and i mean that! well i love and miss you guys so much!
ps. thank you Alli for what you said :) i miss you too!
pss. I LOVE THAT PICTURE :) it has always made me laugh
That is so sweet that dad made you feel better :) Husbands can sure be great for that! I think you are amazing and ridiculously good looking :) You are such a beautiful person inside and out and I'm so grateful that you are my mamma! PS I love that picture!! It is too funny :)
You two are so cute together :)
Gail- I could not love your rawness (if that is a word) and honesty more! I want to be more like that! I think that all of us- especially women- get down on our selves all too often. Recently, I was talking to my counselor and she said that Satan always goes for the mom of the family first. She is the strongest component, and if he can break her, then he can break the family. So no matter how hard he works on us- we just have to turn to our Father. I was seriously dying at your comment,"Isn't it funny how we are drawn to those who are similar to our parents?" SO TRUE- my counselor also told me that it is true you are drawn to partners who are like your parents- or your dad rather- CRAZY!
I am so glad Steve said those sweet words to you- every woman needs that! I love you and I think you are a wonderful and fabulous woman- and I have always been jealous of your interior decorating expertise! You are AMAZING!!! Love Ya!!!
Feelings that are all too similar come rushing to my mind, and eyes and are spilling over running down my cheeks! (Thanks for making me cry!) Thank you for sharing that, I love you, and you are amazing the way that you are. I always have so much fun when I am with you and I always feel welcome and loved in your home. You are beautiful and stylish and talented and fun and I could go on and on...you're amazing. I can relate on so many levels in fact I was just thinking about posting something about it, But you said it so well! I am so glad that you found your soul mate and that he adores you just as much today as he did when you fist got married. You are amazing. I love you hope you have a great Valentines day, you deserve it! Talk to you soon...
I feel your pain sistah! I love and admire you just the way you are! I don't know what it is going to take for us to just accept and love ourselves. We all need a reality check. If it makes you feel any better, I have been in a funk lately too. I can't figure it out...we really need a lunch. Let's set a date...really.
Why are we so hard on ourselves? I think we all have these same feelings and yet we all think everyone else is so wonderful. Why is that?
There is a special place in heaven for you. Someone who not only is so great to her own family, but treats her friends as true family too. You'll never know how truly appreciated that is by their family.
Some people may look great on the outside. But you are so beautiful inside and out!
Gail,
This is Byron...and I want you to know how much I LOVE YOU...you are my favorite aunt....(on my first wife's side). TRUE BEAUTY is not just in the eye of the beholder, but in your eyes, every time i look into them...anyway, i just always wanted to tell you that...
Gail
You know the saying my cup runneth over?? Well my eyes runneth over! My heart runneth over!
We live in a society where how we "SHOULD" look is dictated by everything that is not good nor wholesome. HOLLYWOOD! Did you know in some countries being "Softer" is the preference!!! Really though Gail I feel what you are saying.
I want you to know though that when I look at you I have never thought to myself anything but how truely PHYSICALLY beautiful you are. I really mean that.
The part in this life I really look foward to is when we are made perfect and we will look the same as we do now. I really don't think the Lord is going to make us all look like supermodels. It's our minds that will become perfect and allow the self doubt to melt away. That will be perfect and I can't wait. It's what we do with our life here that is our way of thanking our Heavenly Father for such a blessing to gain a body no matter the shape or size so that we can do great things and raise amazing children!
I have seriously been in a really tough spot lately and have begun for the 1st time to really question my self worth based on how I look. Your blog has helped me realize that it's not how my body looks so much as what am I doing to show my heavenly father my gratitude for the blessings in just having the body I do! It's not the one I really wanted but it's the one I have so I'm trying to be greatful. You are a Beautiful person!!!!! I love you! Melia
I would have never guessed! But I'm not so sure why I figured that other people never feel this!!! Isn't it part of the gift of motherhood?!! You should be a speaker at youth conference or something! I still remember sitting in Young women one day and you were teaching the girls the song, "Walk Tall your a Daughter" (or something like that) and the little bit of info you prefaced that song by was something to the tune of... if we would really pay attention to that song we would understand how important we really are.. etc. etc. It was one for the records, actually! And when you were talking I just though, "man, that lady really gets it!" and today I know even more that you really get it! You get it because you have empathy for those who struggle and you are ultra compationate. ANd you get it because you try to overcome it! And you get it cuz you realize that there is ALWAYS one who understands which makes you NEVER alone! So in many ways You just became even neater in my book! And yes... I love the hearts that you sent me for valentines day on my FB... and no I don't know how to respond of retrieve them so as soon as I do I will be sending you huge thanks on the lovely Facebook! I love you! Isn't the internet great! Maybe we will get to know each other off of blogs and facebook... but I consider myself luckier that I even have the chance. You've always been somebody I look up to! So Thanks! Good post! I think you and I would be surprised at how many people can relate! You're lucky to have the fab husband and ever remarkable children you have! And even better than having them is that you know that about them!
xo
Gail!
Im a little late on this post but I had to comment on how great this was! Some may say im too young to think like this but I can't help but question my self worth at times and I am so grateful for your post and how were not alone. We all are really great woman and need to tell ourselves daily how great we are and realize we need to tell ourselfs that. Thanks so much for always being there for me as a kid and being such a great example to me now Love you!
I love this post! You're amazingly beautiful ... and very lucky.
Post a Comment