Why is it that no matter what the event, holiday or gathering it always seems to be centered around the food? It's just not the fourth of July without "American Flag Fruit Pizza" or homemade vanilla ice cream. Traditions revolve around what our mouths are watering for at that particular time of year. Well, this 4th of July was no different, except we tried a few new things. My niece Katie, posted her favorite grilling recipe a few days before the 4th and I was inspired to try it. It was balsamic barbque chicken and it was amazing! It tasted really similar to Macaroni Grill's honey balsamic chicken. We tried another recipie from Pioneer Woman called hot crash potatoes with a few variations. They were scrumptious. Everything was delicious. We had our friends Nile & Candy & their daughters and our nephew Rob & his wife Michelle over to swim, eat & celebrate. After dinner, while the ice cream churned away, we enjoyed a few "fireworks" in the backyard. (They were leftover from last year when we were in Utah) :) The ice cream maker wasn't working right so we tried making it the really old-fashioned way, we used ziplock bags one inside the other with ice and rock salt. Then we shook it up and tossed it around. It totally worked! It was perfect. Life is just funner with food, family, friends (and fireworks!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Why don't you post the recipe for the balsamic chicken???? I have been in cooking mode lately and pretty much live to eat. I LOVE food! Food makes memories! LOVE the Pioneer woman too! I saw the crash potatoes recipe and wanted to try it. I am glad to know it was good.
I agree ... I LOVE food! Your house is so festive!
I'm happy that you liked the chicken. It is one of our FAVORITES and the potatoes are good too. Your layout looks so festive. Fun, fun!!
I'll be glad to post the recipes. I've been wanting to make a "cookbook" section on my blog just to keep track of all of our favorites and so my girls will have access when they go away to school, so I promise to do that soon :) In the meantime, here is the bbq sauce recipe, from Giada on Foodnetwork. I added a little more brown sugar (1/2 c. instead of 1/3) cause I thought it was a little too tangy. Then I marinated the chicken in the sauce before I grilled it. Then I made 1/2 recipe to cook down and serve on the side. Very flavorful.
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
The potatoes are from the Pioneer Woman website. I changed them a bit. I added granulated garlic sprinkled in with the coarse salt and put a combination of cheddar and parmesean cheese on top..yum!
You definitly know how to throw a party! I've been wanting to try those potatos...I love anything potato and they looked good. T-minus 3 weeks till the beach!
I know Aubrey...I can't wait! I only wish I was about 40 pounds lighter and 20 years younger...then I would be really excited! Let me know if you need any other help with the wedding:)
Food is always good, but Can I just say I think Carly looks beautiful in the picture of her and Chelsea with the sparklers!
Your so sweet! I think so too but when I tell her that she says it's just cause I'm her mom. I will tell her you said that:)Thanks!
Oh Man, wish we could have been there. You are definitely the hostess with the mostest and I know 4th of July at your house is the best. I shed a tear seeing how grown-up and gorgeous Carly and Chelsea are...
Post a Comment