Monday, September 29, 2008

All Good Things....Must Come To An End:(.

The last full day was spent exploring Sydney in the morning to find Steve's first apartment and shopping at a craft fair near the harbor. It was our first overcast day of the trip. Sydney is one of the larger cities in Nova Scotia on the most Northern end of the province. It still has some of the nicest people on earth and a large Scottish heritage. We met some very sweet and colorful people including a rather large Scot named John Mc Clain who made stained glass for sale at a craft fair. He was dressed in a Scottish kilt and knee socks. He said it took Bruce Willis to play him in the movies:).

Steve's first apartment in Nova Scotia (The door on the right goes upstair to the apt.)

John Mc Clain, He was so nice he walked us down to the Sydney harbour to show us where a larger craft fair was being held. Kaye was looking for a hand knitted sweater and he knew a lady who made them at the other fair. That's how nice the people here are!

The last city we visited was part way to Halifax and an area Pat had served in called Port Hawksbury. We found his old apartment and while looking for it found a church building that had not been there before! It was really just a double-wide trailer turned into a church and we found out had been there for about 10 years. The funniest thing about Port Hawksbury is that the McDonalds there has a sandwich called the McLobster! We had to get one to try it. It wasn't great but it was good and really made with lobster. We couldn't believe it...lobster @ McDonalds!

The L.D.S. church in Port Hawksbury

We spent the rest of the day driving to Halifax so we could fly home the next morning. The week that we were here we drove over a thousand miles! We went to all 3 of the maritime provinces, (states), four different land masses, stayed in 6 different cities, crossed two ferries and one bridge, found 5 missionary apartments and went to one new temple! The leaves were mostly green when we got there, but over half of the trees had begun to change during the week. The colors were making me so excited for Fall and the holidays until I got home to the proverbial Summer! Kaye and I spent most of the trip to Halifax begging to stop and take more pictures of the colors:) I still don't think we took enough :) (about 1700 pictures over 8 days!). This was by far the best trip we've taken so far. The weather was perfect(we missed the hurricane by one day!), the sights were breathtaking and the company was great! We seriously laughed the whole time! We laughed until we cried at least once each day. So thank you to everyone who made this possible! To my daughter Julie for flying home to stay with the kiddo's, to the weather man upstairs for giving us the best possible weather, to my husband Steve for the idea, the driving and paying for it all, and to the Milligan's for being the best possible travelling companions we could hope for (we miss you already:)!

Steve and Pat in the front seat driving, driving and more driving!


Amazing Fall colors!


5 comments:

Chelzy said...

well it sounds like you guys had a ton of fun and those pictures are amazing! I love fall and I'm excited because the leaves are starting to change up here in Utah! I love you so much and miss you! :D

Meredith Ferrin said...

WOW!! What a trip! The scenery is beautiful! I'm glad you guys had a great time!

Spencer and Amy said...

I'm glad you guys had so much fun :) The leaves there are gorgeous!! You took some great pictures! Can't wait to see you guys next week :)

Hina Schneider said...

OMG those tree colors are absolutely gorgeous. I wish I lived there so that I could take many great family pics.

John and Cheri said...

Gail, What a wonderful trip! I loved all of your pictures and hearing about what you and Steve did. I am so glad you took the opportunity to do this. What a beautiful part of the world. I hope you are well. The peaches look awesome, by the way...