Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Favorite Movie Quotes:

    "For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake!"
                                             ...Alfred Hitchcock
Our family is notorious for using quotes from movies and TV shows that we love in our everyday conversations. Sometimes I don't think we could communicate at all without using quotes. Steve and several of our kids are especially good at it. Nothing makes me laugh like I do when Steve catches me off guard with the perfect quote at the perfect time. We know several other people who like to do this and the whole Schiefer family is as bad as we are! That's probably why we're such good friends. They "get" us. In fact Sharon told me once after we first met that she had come home and told her kids, "Hey, Ellsworth's do the same thing we do with movie quotes!" I guess we're just kindred spirits. In honor of "Top Ten Tuesday" I'm sharing a few more than 10 of our favorites. They will probably only be funny to someone who's seen the movie and remembers the line,  but it's was fun for me to create the list.  It's only a fraction of the many quotes that my family uses.  Each uses the perfect "voice" when they say it and timing is of course...everything!  (Yes, I know we watch way to many movies, but that is one of our favorite things!:)
"I could snap you like a chicken!" ("My Big Fat Greek Wedding")
"Could it be El Guapo that you are angry about something else, and taking it out on me?" ("3 Amigos")
"You need to put some American on your signs!"  ("Just Married").
"She's really quite lovely...in a certain light....'course you can't depend on that light!" (Dudley Moore in "Arthur")
"After all that do, After all I have done, it is never enough!" ("Ever After")
"Cheese and Rice!" ("Just Married")
"Snap out of it!" ("Moonstruck")
"I'm only here for the food" ("Ever After")
"Tempting....but no." ("Notting Hill")
"Throw me a frickin' bone!" (Dr. Evil in "Austin Powers")
"I just work for Vicini to pay the bills". (Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride")
"Game over Man! Game Over! ("Aliens")
"You Mocked me once! Never do it again!" ("Princess Bride")
'Welcome to the nineties Mr. Bonks"  ("Father of the Bride", Franc)
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" ("Blazing Saddles")
"Touching story....not my problem." ("10 things I hate about you").
"Have you made anyone cry today?" "Sadly No...but the day's not over yet!" ("10 things..".)
"Pork!  Mother.  Angel!  Mother."  ("Emma")
"I can't help it if I'm really, really ridiculously good looking". ("Zoolander")
"Yesh" ("Michael from The Office")
"He's a funny guy"  ("Three Amigos')
"I hate goodbyes." ("Dumb and Dumber")
"Fat guy in a little coat.) ("Tommy Boy")
"Holy Schnikees!"("Tommy Boy")
"Tommy likee, Tommy want wingie" ("Tommy Boy")
"I don't know what we're yelling about!" ("Anchorman")
"Good Night Nurse!"  ("Return to me")
"Can I have a hug?" (Dr. Evil to Mini me in "Austin Powers")  
"I * Am * Job."  (Robin Williams "Mrs. Doubtfire")
"Then in the morning..... I'm makin' waffles." (Donkey from "Shrek")
"Let's get sloshed!" ("Notting Hill")
"Get back in yur cell!...Don't make me get the hose!" ("Mrs. Doubtfire")
"Jack talk Thai, Jack talk Thai very well!" ("Meet the Parents")
"Can you deal with that!" ("Meet the Parents")
"Head! Move!" ("So I Married an Axe Murderer")
"Go cry yourself to sleep on your huge pillow!" ("So I M.an A. M.)
"For you baby, I could be!" (Shrek 2)
"Yo yo yiggidy yo." ("Juno")
"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth" ("Rush Hour")
"..You sit on a throne of lies." ("Elf")
"Poothie boy going to go splat!" ("America's Sweethearts")
"I like to whisper too!" ("Elf")
"What is this, a center for aunts? How can we reach teach kids how to read, if they can't even fit inside the building." ("Zoolander")
"That's what she said" (Michael on "The Office")

10 comments:

Jules said...

julie likey haha good job mamma you put the best ones on there!

Brian and Brianna said...

I am laughing hysterically! That is definitely one thing the Ellsworth family is famous for. I know Julie can quote just about any movie out there. I love your fam they are hilarious!

Byron and Jana said...

Thanks for the laugh! We had fun laughing at your list!! No doubt there is nothing funnier than hearing a movie quote said with the right voice at just the right moment!

Mackenzi said...

Oh I need to watch Princess Bride again, and Zoolander. Those movies have some of my favorite quotes. I've never seen Blazing Saddles but my Mom quotes the badges quote too. Thanks for the laugh.

Spencer and Amy said...

That was funny mom :) It made me miss you guys! Luckily Spence does the same thing so I still have someone to quote stuff with. Love you!

☂niki. said...

haha. that was a fun post. i totally know almost all of those quotes. alli is queen of movie quotes...no wonder her and julie are such good friends. i laughed out loud when i got to "i. am. job." i love that movie. especially that part! i could hear just the way he said it in my head.

Sharon said...

It says "Go cry yourself to sleep on your huge pillow!} to which I would have to reply..."Those aren't pillows!" I had a lot of fun with you today and I thought you looked hot and sassy in your travel wardrobe! The white shirt fit great and is stretchy and comfortable, so thanks! Have a great trip- miss you already!

Grandmommy Crum said...

Im here at your blog I cant believe it! You crack me up! I dont know the quotes, my kids do, they got it from John! Niki said tonight, Hey Alli did you read Gails quotes on her blog? They began quoting your movies and got a good laugh! This is going to be so fun to keep in touch this way, through the blogging world! I love you so much, I dont know what I would do without you!! Thanks to you and Steve for all you do for me!! Love ya

Anonymous said...

"Fat guy in a little coat" is our favorite. That was the first line that I thought of when I read this. And that is doing good, I don't remember lines from movies very well....I don't remember really anything very well...

Alli said...

One of the many reasons I love the Ellsworth family! Julie has always been good at movie quotes, not just remembering them but sounding just like them! haha Thats why we would always make her be the funny parts of our skits at girls camp. How is it that no one else laughed at us? OH well we thought we were pretty dang funny. All thanks to our Julie! Oh how I love that girl! And you too. I always tell my mom that I could go over to your house and just hang out with you all day! You are too much fun and always give me such great advice! Love you!!!