Friday, March 13, 2009

Unexpected Guests, Part 2

No, this is NOT about any celebrity visitors, but unexpected just the same. Last Sunday we were getting ready for church and Steve noticed a splash in the pool!
He went to investigate and there was this duck swimming in our pool! There was another duck on the pools edge. 
.  I started taking pictures and had some fun with my camera.  Notice in this shot how the reflection is both hers AND his, out of the pool but reflected underneath her.  I was so excited when I saw it, just dumb luck but way cool:) (Yes it's the male whose more colorful than the female...Carly taught me that).
Eventually the male duck joined the female in the water, we think they're a couple, especially since we caught them "kissing":).  

Isn't this a great shot?  I loved that I caught this on film!
They were so adorable and pretty soon, Sophie, our cat noticed them and started stalking the edge of the pool.  I'm sure she thought duck would make a good breakfast. (She's eaten birds before). She soon realized they weren't getting out anytime soon and she left, since there was NO WAY she was getting into the water:).
Koda, our dog started going crazy in the house and we blocked the dog door so he couldn't go out and chase them away.  When we finally let him out, all he could do was bark at the edge of the pool, but they just ignored him. 
Carly wanted to adopt them and name them, but we had to leave for church and they were gone when we got back.  The funny thing is, they have come back every morning this week!  They stay for an hour or so, then fly away.  We hope to see more of our little visitors, i think they think our pool is their very own little lagoon. It's definitely a sign that Spring has sprung and reminded me that it's those little unexpected things that make life sweet:).

9 comments:

Sharon said...

If you name/adopt those ducks I am gonna have to slap you! Girlfriend,your plate is already full! Just let Sophie out...and look away. haha. Miss you! You posted at 6:01 am??? What is wrong with this picture? If I stayed up a lil later and you got up a lil earlier...

Anonymous said...

We had some ducks in our pool last year. But I am not that smart to pick up a camera and take such professional pictures of them. It would cause me to be late to church and then Steve Ellsworth would surely get our bench......

Patrice said...

We've had a few ducks, too. I love them, as long as they don't poop. The kids sure get a kick out them. (I haven't seen any since we moved.) Anyway, those are some fun pics!

Spencer and Amy said...

That' so funny! I love the picture with the reflection. Too cool! That's so fun that you had a boy and a girl duck :) And I love that they were kissing!

Jillene said...

WoW! I am so amazed at this post. Awesome pictures and how fun is that! Coming to your blog tonight made my night!

I think you commented on my blog before I posted the story about the engagement. And YES! We have a lot to talk about. You have been on my mind. You are the one person that I really want to get some wedding style advice from. I will be calling you!

Anonymous said...

I thought for sure you were going to say Garth and Tricia were at your ward! I love the pictures. Great job.

Brian and Brianna said...

Too cute that they were kissing! That's so funny you got a picture of it! Seems like you guys always have something exciting going on in your house hold :)

Jules said...

im glad i was home when this happened! this was so random haha and that picture is so cute of them kissing. Good job! miss you guys!

Chelzy said...

That was funny! I didn't know that they came back! That's awesome! haha And...I told Carly about the whole male is more colorful thing. I'm hurt she took the credit and didn't even mention my genius! ;D haha