Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Unexpected Guests!

This week sort of took off quickly and I haven't had a moment to blog about this till now, but Sunday was seriously strange and even cool.  (I was also debating whether or not to post about this, but here goes:).

It started out early, (our church starts @ 8:30 AM!), me rushing in a few minutes late, as usual. I noticed someone going in the door a few steps ahead of me with VERY bright red, very long hair (from the back) and thought to myself, "I wonder who that Wynonna wannabe is?".

I sat down and church started I didn't think about it again. After the sacrament, Steve asked me if I knew who the "Naomi Judd" lady was and I said, you mean Wynonna Judd don't you? He said, "whatever, who is that sitting over there?" As I looked over, I realized it WAS Wynonna Judd!!!

Our whispered conversation after that:

Me: "That IS Wynonna Judd."

Steve: "There is NO WAY that's actually her."

Me: "Yes it IS her, she has a very distinctive profile and she's wearing sunglasses."

Steve: "She would have body guards or someone else with her".

Me: "She's probably friends with the Sanchez's, they know a lot of famous people."

Steve: "I'm sure it's not her"

Me: I'll bet you it is. Tell you what, you can cook dinner if I'm right and I'll clean the closet this week if I'm wrong."

Well, this went on as discreetly as possible all the while church was going on, (I know we're very childish and I AM totally embarassed, but still needed to share the ugly truth:).

Finally toward the end of fast and testimony meeting, Brother Sanchez goes up to bear his testimony and announces to everyone that Wynonna was staying with them and they invited her to church and she came!

So Steve get's to cook dinner this week:)!

After church, Sister Sanchez motioned me over to meet Wynonna so I went to welcome her to our ward. She was very nice and shook my hand. Many other ward members were gathering, so we left the cultural hall.

The most embarrassing part of all this is that my husband actually took her picture with his phone. Thankfully, no one noticed, but I had to show you:). I know it looks like she's looking right at Steve, but it's zoomed in and she's just listening to sister Sanchez. I still can't believe he did it! (He also sent it to his daughters in Utah, who were a little shocked to say the least.:)
Later that day, we had more, (less famous), guests to our house. James and Margaret Burns came to dinner. Margaret is one of the converts (and his favorite) Steve taught while on his mission in Nova Scotia. When we went last September, we were hoping to find her but found her brother Tom and his wife instead and visited with them. He informed us, that she spends her Winters in Arizona and has for the past 5 years! We were so shocked that we could have had a reunion so much sooner had we known. It took her longer to get to Arizona this year because of new grandbabies in Canada. It was so fun for me to meet her for the first time and for Steve to catch up on the past 27 years! Margaret got remarried just a few weeks ago, since she arrived in Arizona! That was the "unexpected" part of her visit, getting to meet her new husband James. We had a great visit but I totally forgot to take any pictures of the newlyweds! I'm sure they'll be back and we'll be sure to get some next time:).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh great! She lives here and you get to see her at your ward - so not fair! I'm telling my country music business friends!

julz said...

This is a total crack up. First of all your ir reverence during sacrament and taking pictures like the paparazzi. I would have totally done the same thing. My question is what was she doing at your friends house and what did she think of church???? These are things I like to know. Steve could have a new job or even sell this pic to the tabloids and headline the article "Judd turns Mormon" now that would be great and cash worthy.

☂niki. said...

oh my gosh! that is too funny! hahaha. nothin like a random celebrity to make your sabbath exciting...

Alexa Mae said...

that is the coolest thing ever! i wouldn't have believed it, but you are totally right...you can spot her from a mile away! how cool!! loved this, and especially loved the camera phone shot! nice job!

Brian and Brianna said...

How crazy is that! That is awesome that he took a picture of her! I'll admit I read all the celebrity magazines when I'm bored at work, and I was just reading an article about her, that's so cool that she came to church! I want to thank you too for your sweet comment, I always look forward to reading your comments they mean so much to me love you!

Spencer and Amy said...

That is hilarious! What are the chances! She was just on "Kath and Kim" and she was so funny :) I love that dad took a picture too!

Hina Schneider said...

OMG! Lucky but what a small world. Maybe Ashley Judd will come too.

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

You guys are funny, I would of done the same thing.... how does the Sanchez know her?? thats really neat that she came to church, hope you had a good testimony meeting, some of them can be scary at times...hope you got up there!!!lol

Barbie said...

Doesn't the bishop make you check your cell phones at the door? I would imagine you were not the only ones having hushed conversations. It must have been loud in the meeting that day. What a crack up.

Karen said...

Hey this just popped up on my Google Reader! Does this mean you aren't blocked anymore? This story is killing me! So funny! Who are these Sanchez people that know many famous people? So is Wynona losing weight like she claims in her Alli commercials?