Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mmmm...Mmmm....Good!

My niece posted a soup recipe and asked for more ideas to be posted so here is mine.  This is a recipe for butternut squash soup.  It's really easy, fast, nutritious and most important, yummy! It's nice to do a vegetarian meal now and then and this one fills you up and is perfect for a cool Fall day.  (still waiting for the cool Fall day:)

Ingredients:
2 lbs. butternut squash, cut into cubes                                               
1 pkg. baby carrots
1 yellow onion, cut up into cubes
2 cups chicken broth
2 T. butter
1 pinch nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. heavy cream (optional)


It's especially easy when you stop at "Fresh and Easy" for pre-cut squash and baby carrots:)
Put all the vegetables and broth in one pot, bring to boil and simmer 'til veggies are tender.

Once tender  blend till smooth w/the butter

Add cream and blend, if you want. (it's still great w/o the cream)

And there's dinner! (bread bowls available @ bread basket:)

14 comments:

Jules said...

oh yummy i miss your cooking!! you guys should just come up here already cuz we all miss you guys.

Chelzy said...

I love that soup and in those breadbowls it's delicious!

Spencer and Amy said...

Yummy! I miss that soup :) And we miss you guys even more!!

Brian and Brianna said...

MMM looks very mmm mmm good! Since I was little I can always remember you being such a creative cook! I'll definitely have to try this :)

Sharon said...

I love you, you know that? (Christian's phrase but I use it) I look at that cute bread bowl with the yummy soup in it and it has your name written ALL over it! You're the best!! I will definitely try it this year...probably next year when it is hot and not even appropriate...sigh...

Kim said...

Love the bread bowls from there. I will have to try this out with my family sometime.

Anonymous said...

That looks SO good and healthy too! But why would you want to leave out the cream??????

Katie said...

That looks so yummy! Thanks Gail!

Smithfamily said...

great idea

Smithfamily said...

You need to thell Chelesa to post her reciepes from BYU I want the cherry pie reciepe.....

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

thats really looks good, and what a cute bread bowl so clever. i will have to try that one thanks.

Grandmommy Crum said...

HAPPY BITHDAY TO YOU! Shout out to everyone, its Gails Bithday today! I love you!xoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! A little late....

Jillene said...

YUMMY!

and it looks PERFECT.

You really could do a show on HGTV or the food network!