Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reality Check!

Today was such a BEAUUUUUUTIFUL DAY!!! You could almost hear a collective sound of relief from everyone in the valley! Sure, it's supposed to be in the 90's again sometime next week, but TODAY it was 75 degrees and sunny, so I will be grateful for today and have hope for tomorrow. It was so nice, Steve and I went for a drive with the top down and it was heavenly:).

Riding around with the wind in my hair and the radio on made me feel so young and cool... without a care in the world....that is until I saw IT.....my neck..... reflected in the mirror of the visor! There it was....this deep crease, right where my neck meets my chest! It looked like a huge dent, marking where to cut off my head or something. Seriously, this "thing" is sooo deep, I can't believe I hadn't noticed how pronounced it was before today. (too ashamed for picture:).

It was then that I realized just how old this body of mine is. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect perfection....after all I wasn't perfect at 21! And as I've aged, (mostly due to my children:). I've learned to live with my thickening waistline, my age spots, my thinning hair and all the other evidence that I'm not as young as I used to be. I won't lose any sleep over it, I still love myself.
It was just kind of a downer right in the middle of my perfect day, enjoying the wind in my hair and feeling far younger than I really was.

I know I should just be grateful that I'm healthy and everything still"works", at least for now, and I AM grateful...most of the time. I just need to remember, "You're only as old as you feel" and to DECIDE to just FEEL young, even if I know I'm not:)
Note to self: NEVER look in a mirror while exposed to direct sunlight!:)

11 comments:

Spencer and Amy said...

You're so funny! You are gorgeous :) I don't think you look a day over 35 :)

Gail said...

Whatever!! I wasn't fishing...just hadn't seen myself in that kind of light in awhile:)...needed to vent!

Carly said...

gosh mom!!! you don't even look old!!! your beautiful!!! so stop downing on yourself!! luv you!!

Jules said...

i agree with carly and amy, you are one hot mama!! i'm glad to hear its cooling down there. it is freezing up here!! miss you guys

John and Cheri said...

Gail, I'm right there with ya! But I totally agree about deciding to feel young. But I prefer young with a ittle more wisdom (I hope!). You are beautiful and actually one of my heros in so many ways. You are a doer---a very good doer. Love you!!

Kathryn said...

Cute, your girls post nice comments about you on your blog. Maybe someday I'll be in that boat. Besides, you don't look old and I've never noticed a crease.

I totally blanked on getting you the enrichment check. Hopefully you don't mind if I stop by tomorrow. Also, sorry our conversation was cut short in the hallway today. Although I love to talk, I've got girls and a husband that think otherwise.

Grandmommy Crum said...

You crack me up! I do the same thing, just today I looked in the mirror with my walgreens glasses on and I too saw wrinkles I havent seen before!!!! I quickly took my glasses off, and looked again! "Thats a little better", I thought. Denial is my coping method!!! Just remember how beautiful you are! We couldnt have these grandbabies without a few wrinkles! I love you

Sharon said...

Whatever...you don't even have any wrinkles! Crazy girl! Or should I say crazy beautiful girl! You are perfect! And remember...sunlight is not our friend. Candlelight...ah, she is our friend :)

Anonymous said...

I hear you sistah! I have noticed wrinkles on the left side of my face. Which happens to be the side that I sleep on. So...I have started to sleep on my right side so that I can even out my wrinkles! You know I always turn to Bon Jovi to make me feel better...well they sing an awesome song called "Just Older". "I'm not old, just older", "The skin I'm in is all right with me", "I like the bed I'm sleeping in, just like me it's broken in" are just a few lines. They always make me feel good!

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

Gail just look at it this way.. your Healthy, Wealthy and Wise... what more would ya want...love ya

Hina Schneider said...

Your are so funny. Reading this post just made me laugh. You don't even need to worry about those silly little things. I think you are absolutely gorgeous and just perfect. Just to prove to you. Look at all your amazing children and how good looking they all are. You girls are just abaolurwly perfect and beautiful. I totally envy their skin and faces and more. They all got those gorgeous traits and characteristics all because they have a beautiful mom who is gorgeous inside and out.

Now no more nonsense talk about this old age thing. I love you just the way you are.