Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween...Part I

Here are some Halloween dinners and treats I did this year. I know It makes me look like an over-achiever, and for some reason I am about this! The thing is, I am totally ALL or NOTHING and I go a little crazy about the cute ideas I find for Halloween goodies. I have a collection of magazines/cookbooks on the subject and I look online for ideas too. I don't know why this appeals so much to me, but I wouldn't do it if it didn't. These diiners are something my kids look forward to and this year, I did not let them down:). I really do it for myself, cause it amuses me. So don't be thinking what a "Martha" I am:). Almost none of these ideas are mine, I'm just a good copycat. I hope they amuse you too. I know my girls in Utah will love seeing the collection this year! "Bone" Appetite!

Sunday Dinner: "Spider Web" meatloaf
"Graveyard" mashed potatoes

"Skeleton bones" breadsticks
This fruit salad was called: "The Pear Witch Project" so clever!

Carly helped me set the table and she wanted to put purple sugar around the edge of the glasses to make the Crystal Light special! They turned out so cute!
Last night we had another fun dinner:
Perfect for dipping in mustard and/or catsup!
With honey mustard for eyes, peeking through....so cute!
This dinner we had a whole "brain" for the fruit! This is a seedless watermelon! 
(Denae, you'll have to ask T.K. if it looks at all like the real thing:)
Austin, enjoying his "brainfood"
The centerpiece is a little "gingerbread" spook house which came pre-assembled from Wilton!
Carly did the whole thing with her friends!
The cookies this year were especially fun. We actually made plates for our neighbors to invite some of them to our ward Halloween party! (my missionary effort:).

These "mummies" are just Vienna Fingers with frosting drizzled on and mini-chips for eyes:)
These are witches hats made from striped shortbread and hershey kisses, decorated w/frosting.
I cheated with these "monster fingers" and bought them at the bakery:) I know how to make them, but they were just as cute and this way....no "baking"!!! My kind of treat:).
This is what the plates looked like for the neighbors:
Here are some ideas from past years:

10 comments:

Spencer and Amy said...

Everything looks so darn cute!! I miss all of your Halloween treats and it makes me sad we aren't there this year, but thanks to the blog I at least get to see all the fun :) Love and miss you and you are AMAZING!!

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

Seriously Gail you need to make a holiday book for each of us, you are amazing what fun traditions you have for your family to remember and to carry on...you need to have mini classes for all of us do i sound a little anxious!! thanks for sharing with us all...

Smithfamily said...

WOW you are amazing. Sure need to find out how to get on your neighborhood list....I agree you are amazing...

Hina Schneider said...

Those are some super cute treats and very creative ideas on how to do them halloween style. I love it all.

Mackenzi said...

What cute ideas! I want to come to your house for Halloween next year! :) (oh, and to answer your question... no Halle wasn't strapped on the bull at all. she held on all by herself!)

Anonymous said...

I was the lucky recipient of one of the neighbor plates and they are much cuter in person! Gail, you amaze me. Just looking at the pictures makes me tired...

Kristin said...

look at you go, you might not be the inventor of all these ideas, but you have the energy and stamina to do them! :) I think I would have quit after the meat loaf, that was impressive. It all was. Glas you had a great HALLOWEEN!

Barbie said...

AMAZING. I want to be you when I grow up. I love this time of year, too. I hope one day soon I will have the time to do something like this, and have kids who will actually eat what I make. A girl can dream, can't she.

Alli said...

Gail you are so dang cute! And creative!! I love all of the ideas! I need to come over to your house to eat on halloween!!

Gail said...

You'd totally be welcome ...anyone! I don't have enough people here anymore!:)