As Veterans day approaches this year, I'm feeling all kinds of things. Not only is this a time to think of all those who've lost their lives in the service of our country, it's also a time to reflect on this country's most recent, historic election. And of course...Thanksgiving.
And for me it is a time to reflect on my dad's life since this week marks the anniversary of my both my dad's death and also his birthday. He died when Amy was a toddler and Julie was a baby. None of my children have any memory of him, but I know he helped send my four youngest to me and we will see him again someday. My Father didn't die in the service of his country, but he did die TOO young, just as the many soldiers who lost their lives to various wars over the years.
Even though this is kind of sad thought, I can't help but feel grateful. First of all for all those who risk their lives and often lose them protecting our rights and the future of our country. Secondly, I feel grateful for the freedoms we enjoy as citizen's of this country and for all those who are responsible for founding this great country. I know it was no accident that this land was discovered and has since become the strongest nation in the world. There are many things about this country that I take for granted and so I'm grateful for this holiday to remind me to put things in perspective.
No matter how you register to vote, the fact that we CAN vote is what we need to focus on. Even though I didn't vote for our President Elect, I am grateful to be a part of a country which would allow an African American to not only run for president, but actually win. It proves that we have come a long way in the quest for civil rights in this country. Things aren't perfect and we don't always agree, but we still are "one nation, under God with liberty and justice for all."
I'm grateful for all the freedoms we enjoy as Americans. For instance the freedom of speech, even when it means controversy and persecution like what's happening in California. Watching the news reports of attacks on the L.D.S. church members for their role in supporting prop 8 reminds me of what the early saints went through. I'm grateful for those early church members who gave up so much so that I can worship freely.
Nothing is guaranteed and we know things must get more difficult before they get better. We know there must be "opposition in all things" so we CAN appreciate the good from the bad. We know many of our freedoms will be challenged in years to come. So I want to be grateful for these freedoms while I can. I'm the most grateful for the knowledge I have of the Lord's hand in all this. I do worry at times, but ultimately I know the Lord is in control and that gives me great comfort amid all the uncertainty. We are truly blessed to live in this great country and I AM proud to be an American:).
This slide show is one my daughter Chelsea put together for an assignment she had in her humanities class. The song is called,"Dying Soldier" and is performed by a BYU choir. The full text of the song's lyrics were posted on her blog a few weeks ago, if you're interested. My husband and I loved it and I felt it was perfect to help reflect on what this day means. It's worth the 4 minutes:




5 comments:
That was a sweet post Mom :) That video was really neat and it helps us remember all who fought for our country. Happy Veteran's Day!
Nice post Gail, thanks..
Chels did a great job on that video! I wish i could have known grandpa mooney but i know i will get to someday :)
That was beautiful, great job Chelsea! I have always had a tender spot for our servicemen. Anything patriotic chokes me up like no other. I remember standing at the Vietnam Memorial and looking at all of those names, it was very overwhelming. There was such a feeling of respect and reverence. Thanks for the post!
Thanks for the Twilight food ideas! I sent you an invite for my blog - sorry I thought I had already sent you one. I love keeping up with your family.
Post a Comment